Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Being Injured

It has been 19 days and a few hours since I crossed the finish line at IMTR 50 Miler, my 16th ultra since April 2011. Since crossing the finish line, I have not been physically capable of running a single step.
Whatever happened to me at mile 40 of IMTR two and a half weeks ago is not something that will just go away with a few days of rest. I have not been able to put weight on my right leg while it's bent, as you naturally do when walking, running, biking, or swimming. I still can't walk properly, and biking to campus is only possible because it's a straight shot downhill (getting back to my apartment is a different story). I still can't walk up or down stairs, and even driving my jeep is painful.
Last known image of me actually putting weight on my right leg.
I've talked to my friend Jordan (a PT) about it, and have been seeing the chiropractor in town, both of whom diagnosed my injury as sever runner's knee. I've been to the chiropractor 4 times, with a 5th visit scheduled for Friday, and I'm seeing Jordan again tomorrow evening. This week has been more painful that the previous, but still a little better than immediately after the race (however, without being able to produce endorphins for over 2 weeks, my mood has plummeted and I'm stuck in general grumpy-bitch mode) (sorry to everyone who has to be around me on a daily basis). Because it hasn't gotten better in the 19 days I've already given to COMPLETE rest - only 2 trips to the pool, and one day where I forgot my bike downtown and had to walk to campus - I'M STARTING TO GET A LITTLE FREAKED OUT.
For example: Today it took 8 six minuted to hobble from my class of the 4th floor of Derring Hall to my class on the 2nd floor of Derring Hall. OUCH.
In some ways I'm glad that my body is forcing me to take serious time off. 16 ultras in 2 years is a lot, and I've only just turned 19 years old. I'm not worried about getting out of shape or dropping muscle mass (although I've been weighing myself periodically these past two weeks, and I've gone from 116-115lbs to 109-108lbs..), I just don't want this injury to haunt my the rest of my life! Being a teenage still means rapid recovery with proper nutrition and rest, and I'm totally fine giving my body this time to mend itself. It's good for me. But when I'm told that this injury has resolved itself and it 100% better, I really want it to be completely 100% better. I've accepted the time that this injury will take to heal, and I'm not going to try to run a single step until this problem is totally resolved. When running resumes, I am going tobe extremely cautious and adiment about training properly.
I just want to be a healthy, lifelong runner, and I hope that this injury will not hinder that from happening.

Well, until next time, I'll just be chillin right  here in my bed, reading my physical chemistry text book, drinking tea, and watching America's Next Top Model. Cycle 20 has BOYZ whaaa???
Bet you guys didn't know that I AM ALSO in cycle 20 of ANTM. I'M NOT HERE TO MAKE FRIEND I WANNA BE ON  TOP!

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap girl, don't let those bitches in the house get you down! You got this!! Watch out ANTM!!!

    ReplyDelete