Sunday, March 25th/Monday, March 26th
/Thursday, March 29th (It’s been a busy week)
Inspiration makes its way into my mind at the
strangest times. And as I lay here in my bed, propped up my about 6 pillows to
keep my body from being in blinding pain, I am suddenly wide awake. It’s one of
those nights where you make a new song in your head, but then realize how
annoying of a song it is so you start reading that huge stack of novels you
check out at the library, and 200 pages later you glace at your clock and it
tells you in a harsh read light that it’s 2:36am. In five hours and a few minutes
you will be asked to build an L-C current in your electromagnetic physics lab.
You don’t care, however, because you’re in the middle of an adventure in a
magical place, living vicariously though the fictional characters that were
themselves frolicking through some depressed British persons mind about 120
years ago. Your body is too shredded to do any first person frolicking – that’s
what happens when you spend your weekend running up mountains – so if reading
for 4 hours after getting in bed gets your jitters out, you do it. My eyes are
darting across the page, and in one more paragraph I will escape. I can’t feel
the lactic acid slicing through my muscles or the microscopic tears in every
single one of my muscle groups trying to mind themselves.
Okay, so it’s not that bad. I just get carried away
when I write.
The event leading up to this elaborate piece of
prose goes by many names. Some call it Tendonitis. Some call it Idiocy or
Denial. Some call it Terrapin Mountain 50k. I call it FUN.
After my geology exam Friday afternoon, I walked
vigourously back across campus to my dorm room. Not because I was afraid of
being late to leave for Terrapin, but because I wanted to tess out my Achilles.
I had been out for about 3 weeks at this point, and knew it probably wasn’t a
good idea that I was going to be running 31 miles on it the next day. Zero
running. Lots of mountain biking and swimming stuff. But I’d just had a successful
running at Holiday Lake and had a good base. So I’d be fine, right? Right…But
as I swiftly made my way through the maze of slow walkers across the drill
field, I felt no pain in my Achilles. No discomfort or fluid crunching around
in my ankle. It was liberating. I almost broke out in my signature happy dance,
but refrained myself. Not because I was in public, but because I didn’t want to
mess up my Achilles.
After a fun car ride to the Sedalia Center with my
fellow Hokie ultra runners, I
was ready to run. I felt the anxiousness building up inside me as the mountains
approached, the mountains I’d be enveloped in in a few hours. It was on. I was
ready to race. I always say I’m going to just run, just enjoy myself, but
that’s so much easier said than done. I always end up wanting to see how hard I
can push myself. Anyways, we pulled the cars up in the field, had a spur of the
moment dance party, pitched the tents, and then went to check in. I had been seeded in 14th woman. Two months ago, I would have thought that I could easily break that and get a top finish. But over the course of the past three weeks of no running, I wasn’t sure I would finish 14th. That’s pretty dang high! I remember last year when I started running these crazy things I would notice the women seeded in top 20 and stare in awe at their race number, quickly getting out of their way whenever I could because I was so amazed by them. How tough and strong these women were! I hoped to one day be as amazing and fast as them. Little did I know Terrapin 50k 2012 would be the testing ground. A new level had been reached. And such unfortunate physical circumstances lead up to it.
I told Horton about my injury during a little chat
we had the night before, and he said I would be fine and still have a good run.
Well, there ya go. I had my worse Terrapin nightmare streaming through my head
in HD…Planet Earth quality…. “And here we see the illusive Appalachian mountain
mammal, the Corriganius Rachelae, or more commonly referred to as the Big Eyed
Mountain Lemur, in its most natural habitat. Watch as she gracefully navigates
the technical switchbacks and OH NO! It appears as though she has taken a nasty
tumble! Rupturing her right Achilles tendon in the pro-cess! Although she could
easily overtake any of her male relatives when she is in good physical health,
she is now so badly injured that nothing can be done to save here, and she will
be left here to die so as not to slow down the rest of the leap of lemurs. ”
Natural Selection is a bad mother.
The best case scenario I had formulated for Terrapin
was that I would make it to the finish line under 9 hours with 1 good leg. That’s
all. Because nothing else seemed possible. My parents, the coolest parents in
the world, were awesome enough to come to Terrapin for a lovely weekend in the
woods, and reassured me that I was strong enough to finish no matter what. This
is the first ultra of mine that my dad had come to, and I really wanted to show
him for real how strong a runner I was, even though he already knows. I just
love sharing this wonderful sport with people I love! It’s something you really
have to experience to understand. The next day was indeed shaping up to be a
mental one. I said goodbye to my parents and we Hokie’s retired to our tents to
tell stories and laughs, and eventually we all said goodnight. The rain started
drizzling down, and eventually I fell asleep. I always do my best sleeping when
I’m in a tent.
The morning greeted us dark and wet. I embraced my
impending dampness and set forth across the field for the best cup of prerace
coffee I’d had in a few months. Thank you cross country team! I was debating
wearing a light shell just to keep the rain off and from being too cold right
off the start line, but the morning felt balmy enough so I decided just to wear
shorts and the terrapin shirt from last year. Maybe the mixture of the yellow
Terrapin shirt and the bright blue Promise Land shorts would brighten the
somewhat dreary morning.We Hokie’s congregated on a bench to kick things off with our traditional Hokie Hi. I hope everyone heard us…we weren’t nearly loud enough in my opinion. And with that subtle gesture, we made our way to the start line and off we were! Up the mountain! Maybe not being able to see where I’d be climbing too was a blessing.
I felt okay starting off; it just felt SO GOOD to be
running again! I was immediately about a thousand times happier than I’d been
in weeks, just from running 10 steps. I felt so good that I tried to catch up
with my team mates. I did, and after a 2 minute conversation I could feel the
extra speed taking it’s toll on my legs and decided to drop back. My breathing
was much too hard for this early in the run, so I slowed it down and began to
climb. Horton was on the side of the old fire road in his truck, and he let me
know I was “way up there!” that was a little reassuring, so I leaned into the
climb and ran a little. Most of the journey up to the aid station at the top of
the mountain was a run/fast hike for me, as my endorphins were kicking in and
making my legs want to work hard. The first down hill section on the gravel
fire road was painful, but I flew down and blocked out the pain. My toenails
were doomed anyways. After about 13 miles, I began to lose steam. The loop was
nothing but pain, and I was sinking deeply into a dark, painful place. I didn’t
know how far we’d run or how much more was left, but I did know that I had
never been in such pain all over my body before during an ultra. It was unreal.
I suppose 3 weeks of no running and no climbing isn’t the best thing to have to
go thru before a race like Terrapin. I pushed through, though, and tried to
smile, but I did almost cry at one point on the loop. My jelly legs were very
mad at me.
I thought about the day as a whole, from starting to crying to now being 4th woman. I thought about what my body was doing, and how on earth I was capable of running 31 miles with 7500 ft of gain with no really specific training over the last month. I thought about how much better a day it could have been if I did not get injured. And I thought about how I didn’t want the day’s adventure to end. Running in severe pain on a beautiful mountain is better than no running at all. But I was in a lot of pain. I saw the “1 MILE TO GO” sign and dug deep down. I always grind out that last mile sprint, but this one was probably the most painful last mile I have ever run in an ultra. I felt the pavement beating my knees and feet to death, I felt my legs turn to jelly. I closed my eyes – it was a straight shot in to the finish line now – and just listened as the cheering from the finish got louder and louder.
I was done. I sprinted as fast and I could on the grass and crossed the finish line in 6:02:20.
And all was right in the world.
The End.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment